Minimum Requirements for Unarmed Security Guards in Kentucky
The state of Kentucky does not license or regulate unarmed or armed security guards. However, individual cities and municipalities may have their own requirements.
While the state does not stipulate the minimum qualifications of an unarmed security guard, most security companies follow these industry hiring guidelines:
- Must be at least 18 years old with provisions that the candidate must be able to perform the duties required of the position
- Must be a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work
- Must possess a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Also, the applicant should demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English and the language(s) most appropriate to his or her assigned duties.
- Successfully pass a background check
- Must not have been convicted of or pled guilty or nolo contendere to a felony or job related crime for a minimum seven-year period immediately preceding the candidate’s date of hire. Any felony conviction discovered in the course of conducting the search should also be considered relevant to the candidate’s qualifications for the position.
- Submission of a fingerprint card or electronic fingerprint
- Pass a drug screening test
Licensing Requirements for Armed Security Guards in the City of Louisville
The City of Louisville requires that armed security companies and armed security officers be licensed (https://louisvilleky.gov/government/codes-regulations/armed-security-agencies-companies-guards) licensed.
To be licensed, a company must submit:
- An application
- A state-wide criminal history from any state in which the applicant has lived for more than 5 years
- An affidavit for Armed Security Guard Licensure for each owner, manager and supervisor
- Evidence of insurance in the amounts of $100,000 for property damages, $1,000,000 for injury or death of one person, and $3,000,000 for injury or death of more than one person
- Certificate of Existence or Certificate of Authorization from the Secretary of State
- Copy of registration with Louisville/Jefferson County Revenue Commission
- Licensing fee
Licenses must be renewed annually.
Armed security guards must be employed by licensed security companies. They must also:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be at least 21 years old
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. military
- Not have been convicted or currently under indictment for a felony. If once convicted of a felony, have been granted or pardon or have had their civil rights restored and been specifically authorized to possess a firearm
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past 2 years
- Not been judged mentally incompetent
- Not been hospitalized for psychiatric treatment or for drug or alcohol abuse treatment within the past 2 years
- Successfully complete an approved training course containing the following:
- Orientation (introduction to the course) and note taking
- Fire prevention and control
- Legal basis for security and rights of security officers, limitations (particularly with respect to the use of firearms)
- Basic law pertaining to criminal justice and the Kentucky Penal Code
- Criminal law and security officer arrest, force, search and seizure
- Report writing
- Crowd control
- First aid and special problems
- Defensive tactics, alternatives to the use of firearms
- Firearms qualification
- Pay a fee